Roy began training jiu-jitsu in 2000 and quickly became passionate about learning the
complete art, from standing self defense to striking, takedowns, groundwork
Roy's focus was always on understanding the art in as technical and conceptually complete a way as possible and, because of this, his ability to teach is very highly regarded and matched by few others. His goal is to provide the best and most thorough instruction possible to his students.
student of Royce Gracie and Greg Thompson, Roy has always trained with the
understanding that Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is, first and foremost, a combative,
real-world style based on solid fundamentals that anyone can use to protect
themselves, regardless of athletic ability, age or size.
Roy was asked to work closely with U.S. Army Groups on Ft. Bragg and is an Advisor to the 82 Airborne Division Combatives and Advanced Tactics Program. He is Level 2 Certified in Modern Army Combatives (MACP) and was a coach for the 2014 U.S. All-Armed Services Combatives Championship team.
the years, Roy has always sought to train with the best practitioners. He has
shared the mat with Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Pedro Sauer, Rafa Mendes, Marcelo Garcia, Kurt Osiander, Murilo Bustamante,
and many others.
Roy has been twice featured on the BJJBrick Podcast, as well as Dirty White Belt Radio, GrapplingKnowledge.com, and ToroBJJ’s Ask a Black Belt Video Series. Roy was the Guest Instructor for the First Blind Fury BJJ Camp and has been featured on Muenster TV. He was a commentator for the Toro Cup Invitationals 1 and 2. He is also a CagesideMMA sponsored competitor.
Although Roy's main focus is practicing Gracie Jiu-Jitsu as a complete art with a focus on real world self-defense, he has trained many students for both Mixed Martial Arts and Jiu-Jitsu Competitions as well as being a successful competitor himself. The following is a list of some of his competitive accomplishments:
- World No-Gi Gold Medalist
- (3X) Pan American No-Gi Gold Medalist
- (2X) Pan American No-Gi Gold Medalist (Absolute)
- Pan American No-Gi Silver Medalist
- Pan American No-Gi Silver Medalist (Absolute)
- Pan American No-Gi Bronze Medalist (Absolute)
- Pan American Gi Silver Medalist
- (2X) New York Open Gold Medalist
- New York Open Gold Medalist (Absolute)
- New York Open Silver Medalist (Absolute)
- Atlanta Open Gold Medalist
- Atlanta Open Gold Medalist (Absolute)
- NAGA US Nationals Belt Winner
- NAGA NC Advanced Gold Medalist
- Budweiser World Cup Gold Medliast
- 2015 All-Armed Services Championship Team Coach
- Has Trained and Cornered Numerous Pro & Amateur MMA Fighters
Try a FREE private lesson with Roy!